Friday 9 March 2012

Bhrahmi oil

I love a good head massage..especially the one which i don't have to do myself ! I mean, if someone does it for you its even more soothing,relaxing and sleep inducing ! If you have a grandmother pester her because whenever i used to tell my mom she usually said no- i got only 1-2 massages per year !
Earlier, my mom used to oil my head for my hair. Then when , i started college, i oiled hair overnight and washed the next day because i didn't want to be caught dead with oiled plaits/pony ! My mom gave up on my hair eventually !
However ,when i started to lose hair and sheen, i became a sucker for all kind of herbs based oils. I have never bought any herbal oil simply because its nauseatingly fragrant and yuck ! I have allergy to giddily aromatic hair oils [hint: jasmine oil/chameli tel ] - they give me headaches and sinus !

Hence, I started my journey into home made oils. Earlier ones are unmentionable !
Once again ,i asked my mom how to make one ! She said-' don't spoil coconut oil with your concoctions . just use the plain coconut oil ,for heaven's sake !'
Since i was a science student ,experimenting was a must ! So i trudged along -bought coconut oil, researched ,asked various old aunties, researched more, talked to mom , and then i made 3 different combinations of oil which i rotate depending on weather, my moods and availability of herbs on my kitchen shelf.

I will share one which i currently use. I use this oil for soothing head massage - benefit on the hair is just a byproduct because i now believe oils just moisturize the scalp and will not give me rapunzel like long hair. However, there some herbs like brahmi ,rosemary which promote strength in hair shaft and keep scalp disease- free. I have been using herbal oil since last 15 years and i have never ever got dandruff in my whole life !
Brahmi is a relaxant when used in hair oils and when ingested. It has medicinal uses in brain related ayurvedic formulas. For my scalp, its cooling and i have noticed it makes my hair soft and more manageable. I add castor oil because i love it- it makes my hair blackish thicker and more better looking than ever !
Feel free to add /omit any of the herbs except brahmi ! For homemade hair oils, there are as many recipes as there are grannies in this world !

What i did :

Bought brahmi and bringhraj powder, 200 ml of coconut oil,castor oil
I soaked a tsp of methi overnight, and made a thick paste with brahmi and bhringraj powder with hot water.i used 25 gm each. If you have fresh henna powder add that too -  2 tsp. Keep the hot water paste for 2-3 hours.
Alternatively, if you have greenest coriander [handful], mint and fresh amla 3-4 , chop them up  and blend them in mixie without water and adjust brahmi and bhringhraj's amount accordingly.

Then in a thick stainless steel kadhai add coconut oil,heat it on very low flame for 3-4 mins, then add methi seeds, paste and amla coriander mix.
Stir lightly and cook it on very low flame till it starts to resemble blackish bits. This cooking process takes 30-40 mins at the least !
Once the oil has cooled off strain and add half cup castor oil [optional] and store it in a clean dry bottle in cool dark place. Remember to use it up [instead of hoarding] and make small batches !
If you make it, kindly let me know your experience/alternatives.

Note: 
  • Don't add more water than necessary to make thick paste ! The aim is to infuse herbs in the oil .
  • Use freshest herbs if possible and grind them and then boil it with oil .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is invaluable !:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...